The Alberts' House
The Alberts’ house was moved to its present
location on the grounds of Brooks and
District Museum on September 14th, 1977. It was donated to the museum by the Alberts family of Brooks.
The house was built in 1910, when the Canadian Pacific Railway was planning and surveying for the Eastern Irrigation District. It was used as an office building for the engineers working on the project. It was given the name Siksika to honour the local native community.
A duck billed dinosaur that lived in the area 75 million years ago in the badlands swamps of the upper cretaceous period, it measured 10 metres and weighed up to three metric tonnes.
This Barn was part of Ken Shackleton's farm just outside of Brooks. Shackleton came to Brooks in 1918 and bought the farm for himself and his family who came in 1919. With the assistance of some neighbors, Ken started the barn in 1941. There was no roof on the barn for a few years, then a straw room was added. In 1945 lumber was brought in and the roof was finished. At the time of completion the barn was painted grey. Later it was painted red, and has since been restored to the original color.
In 1990, the barn was moved to its present site at the museum, with the help of many organizations and volunteers. The barn has been reconstructed to provide both interpretive and display areas. Two stalls remain, one for a horse and one for a cow. The main difference is that the horse's manager is higher to accommodate the animal's height and longer neck.
In the hayloft a hay sling is suspended from the roof. It was used for lifting hay bales through the large door at the front of the loft and could be maneuvered to position the bales. The holes in the floor at the sides allow for hay to be pitched directly into the stalls.
On display outside.
The blacksmith shop was given to the museum as a granary around 1986/87. The granary was put on a cement footing and the floor of the granary was taken out. Frank Nester furnished the shop using the equipment belonging to his father, Hugh F. Nester. Hugh Nester came west in late 1908 and opened up a blacksmith shop in Bassano. The horses were shod at the Bassano Dam when it was being built. Frank Nester put on the heavy red doors and helped to recreate this Blacksmith Shop
Seveth Day Adventist Church
The Seventh Day Adventist congregation was organized and the first meeting held at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Chris Martin in 1919. Pastor McVaugh of the Canadian SDA Union Headquarters was present. Services were held at a school house until a small church was built. This building was built in 1941. The church on the museum property was donated by the Seventh Day Adventist congregation at Cassils, and was moved to the present location in 1978. This building is now used to house museum materials representing all churches in the area.
The Dempster Windmill was used by the Gem Grazing Association on their lease, to pump water for the cattle. The Windmill was donated by the Gem Grazing Association to the Brooks & District Museum in 2008. A windmill relies on wind power to drive the circular wind vane at the top of the structure which operates a gear box. This powers a crank that is connected to a rod that moves up and down. The rod is attached to a small cylinder in the well that pumps the water to the surface.
The Sarah King house, originally located at 127 1 Street East was moved to the museum in 2005. The Kings came to Canada fromDumfries,Scotland. Sarah King had been a practical nurse in Dumfries. When she arrived in Brooks, she didn't intend to be a nurse. At the time, Brooks did not have a hospital. This was a great inconvenience to the doctor and pregnant women. Dr. Anderson asked Mrs. King if she wouldconsider taking in expectant mothers. In 1938, Mrs. King agreed to take in maternity cases. In her small, two bedroom house she often had up to six women staying at a time. Approximately 200 babies from the County of Newell were born in this home.